1. May 24 Gather near the wharf and watch as we recreate Robert Van Vorst Sewell’s “At the Dock” from 1916 with modern players.
2. Friday, June 22, Monhegan Trivia at the Monhegan Brewing Company to Celebrate the release of the Monhegan Museum 50th Anniversary Golden Ale. A portion of the proceeds from each beverage sold at this event will benefit the museum.
3. Sunday, July 1, 4:00pm-6:00pm Monhegan Museum opening reception.
4. Celebrate our birthday with a piece of birthday cake!
5. Thursday, July 5, 1:00- 3:30pm Walking Tour with Leith MacDonald. A guided tour to the sites where artists have painted. $25 for members, $40 for general public. Rain or shine! Meet at the museum.
6. Thursday, July 5, 8:00pm Jazz concert at the church by Kris and Jen Allen.
7. Wednesday, July 18, 1:00- 3:30pm Walking Tour with Leith MacDonald. A guided tour to the sites where artists have painted. $25 for members, $40 for general public. Rain or shine! Meet at the museum.
8. Wednesday, August 1, 6:00pm Monhegan Museum Golden Jubilee at the Lighthouse
9. Dance the night away to live music by Jason Anderson and the Best
10. Enter your ticket in the drawing to win the original Golden Jubilee poster by Peter Nelson.
11. Toast to the Museum’s next 50 years!
12. Make sure to take a picture at the photo booth!
13. Thursday, August 9, 12:00-3:00pm Monhegan ♥ Art Day at the Lighthouse.
14. Participate in the community art project.
15. Bid on a masterpiece at the wet paint auction!
16. Wednesday, August 15, 1:00- 3:30pm Walking Tour with Leith MacDonald. A guided tour to the sites where artists have painted. $25 for members, $40 for general public. Rain or shine! Meet at the museum.
17. Friday, August 17, time TBD- Monhegan Museum 50th anniversary commemorative postmark designed by Dylan Metrano available at the museum! Make sure to attend the “Messages from Monhegan” talk by Earle Shettleworth on August 16 for postcard inspiration!
18. Saturday, September 8, Maine Open Lighthouse Day
19. Thursday, September 15, 1:00- 3:30pm Walking Tour with Leith MacDonald. A guided tour to the sites where artists have painted. $25 for members, $40 for general public. Rain or shine! Meet at the museum.
20. Thursday, July 12, 7:30PM at the Schoolhouse: Elliot Bostwick Davis, “Creativity and Collaboration: Monhegan and the Concept of Human Flourishing”. Elliot Bostwick Davis is the John Moors Cabot Art Chair of the Americas Department at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
21. Thursday, July 19, 7:30PM at the Schoolhouse: Edward L. Deci, “One Hundred and Sixty Years of Monhegan Art”. Ed Deci is the President and Director of the Monhegan Museum of Art & History and has led the organization for over 35 years.
22. Thursday, August 16, 7:30PM at the Schoolhouse: Earle G. Shettleworth, Jr. “Messages from Monhegan”. Earle Shettleworth, Maine State Historian will explore early 20th century postcards of the island and the social history contained in the messages penned by visitors to the island.
23. Thursday, August 23, 7:30PM at the Schoolhouse: Carl Little: “Awash in Color: A Select Survey of Maine Watercolor Painting”
24. Sunday, July 15, 8:00PM at the Schoolhouse: James Fitzgerald: A Painter’s Journey. A documentary by Frederick Lewis. Introduction by Robert L. Stahl
25. Sunday, July 22, 8:00, continued on Monday, July 23, 8:00PM at the Schoolhouse: Rockwell Kent: A Documentary by Frederick Lewis
26. Sunday, August 12, 8:00PM at the Schoolhouse: The Women Artists of Monhegan Island, and Lynne Drexler: A Life in Color Introduction by Kate Cheney Chappell
27. Sunday, August 19, 8:00PM at the Schoolhouse: The Hermit of Manana: The True Story of a Man Who Left Everything Behind, a film by Elisabeth Harris. With introduction by Elisabeth Harris.
28. Enjoy the annual art exhibition Island Treasure: Celebrating 50 Years of the Monhegan Museum
29. Be sure to stop by the museum store and pick up the 172 page hard-cover book published in honor of our 50th year!
30. Spend time in the Keepers House brushing up on island history.
31. Get a new perspective on the island! Take a light tower tour (times and dates TBD)
32. Visit the Rockwell Kent – James Fitzgerald Historic Artist Home and Studio on Horn’s Hill! Open Saturdays 12:30 – 2:30 and Tuesdays 1:00 – 3:00.
33. Come to a gallery talk with Curator, Emily Grey (Dates TBD)
34. Experience the chocolate bar made by La Nef Chocolate in honor of our 50th! Dark chocolate with gold leaf and cacao nibs. A portion of the proceeds from each sale will help support the museum.
35. Try to solve the scavenger hunt in the museum.
36. Show your support by adding the museum’s 50th Anniversary frame on your Facebook profile picture.
37. From June 15 to September 30 Use the Monhegan Museum 50th Anniversary geofilter when posting to Snapchat from our location!
38.- 41. June 1 to September 30- Go to waymarking.com and select the scavenger hunt “In the Footsteps of Artists” to find 4 locations where the artists stood while creating several of the works on display this summer at the museum.
42. Post your images of museum events throughout the summer and tag them with #monheganmuseum50.
43. Watch the sunset from Lighthouse Hill.
44. Still have energy after climbing Lighthouse Hill? Participate in a bootcamp fitness class on the museum lawn! Monday & Tuesday at 3:45, Thursday and Saturday at 10am. See the rope shed for more information.
45. Stop by the Lupine Gallery — the proceeds from the sale of one painting will benefit the museum!
46. Pack a picnic and enjoy the views of Muscongus Bay and beyond while enjoying your lunch on Lighthouse Hill before viewing the exhibits.
47. Pick up our own Monhegan Museum MadLibs in the store- share your creations with us on our Facebook page.
48. Follow in the footsteps of the greats — Try your hand at painting the light station!
49. Shop for our special 50th Anniversary products in our online store, or in person on Lighthouse Hill. (coming soon)
Stay tuned for updates!